So like...What's your deal? I'm super glad you asked...
- I believe that almost everyone has the ability to sing, to find their own unique voice and share it with the world. It's my passion to help you find & develop your voice, your unique sound.
- I believe that our voices are our most human, vulnerable, expressive part of who we are and that singing is a whole body-mind-spirit experience. I recognize that you are a Live Human who has bad days, fears, trauma, and also joy, curiosity and passion. I love that about you!
- I'm committed to making my studio a safe space to bring your whole beautiful self, regardless of race, gender, sexuality, or neuro/physical diversity. That means I'm committed to my own continual learning through books, course-work and mentoring.
- I specialize in teaching contemporary music styles and musical theater. (If you want classical training, I know some great teachers!)
- I teach students from beginners to advanced vocalists looking for a little tune-up now and then. I also offer acting coaching 1-1.
- My ideal student loves to learn how things work. I'm a vocal nerd and I love the science behind how our voices function. I love to share that knowledge with my students. This means that I teach from an evidence-based pedagogy. I also teach using the principles of exercise physiology to train the muscles involved with vocal production to be able to make the sound you want. I can tell you what's happening functionally and how we might strengthen or alter the function to get a different sound. You tell me how it feels in your body and together, we use this functional training and experiential learning to help your voice grow and help you develop as an artist.
- As a member of my studio, YOU are in charge. YOU pick the music we work on. YOU tell me our agenda for the lesson. I'm simply a guide on YOUR path to a greater understanding of YOUR UNIQUE VOICE. Your experience is led by YOU.
- I work with singers ages 14 and older. (If you have a child who is younger than 14, I know some great teachers!)
- I offer lessons both in person and online. My home studio is located in Mountain View, CA. For online students, all you need is a laptop, a phone or tablet and maaaaybe a bluetooth speaker (but it's not 100% necessary). (Sidebar: it took me a long time to come around to teaching online but honestly, it works and works well and golly it makes both our lives easier because you don't have to face traffic to get to my house and I don't have to lock up my dogs and tell my family to be quiet!)
- Still have questions? Please reach out.
SMALL GROUP LESSONS
Why group lessons? Oh...so many reasons. In my experience, I've found that students learn so much and so much faster by listening to other students. I mean... the Ah-Ha moments are wild! It's kinda like parenting. I can tell my kid how to do a thing but it's not until someone else says THE EXACT SAME THING I JUST SAID that my kid gets it and the lightbulb goes off. Parents, can I get an amen? Also, I can fit more students into my schedule by offering group lessons. I'm very busy and important (LOL wink wink).
Here's how it works: We'll have 3 90-minute group lessons per month and one 50-minute 1-1 session that you can schedule anytime during the month as your schedule allows.
Sarah is something special. She is a born performer but she has the patience and knowledge necessary to be an outstanding teacher. She is present and encouraging but never patronizing. For a newbie like me, she is a gift.
Sarah is such an awesome teacher. When I was in a play, some of the notes that I had to sing were a little too high. Sarah would show me all of the really interesting ways to manipulate your breathing so that you could hit those higher notes with ease. I can't put into words how much she has helped me.
1-1 LESSONS & COACHING
Ok, I get it. The whole group thing just isn't your jam and you prefer weekly 1-1 lessons. Or you really can't commit to a weekly class. Or you just need a session or two to work on that one pesky phrase in that one song or that 32-bar audition cut or, maybe you just want a consultation or to work on a monologue or talk through ideas for your own cabaret act. It's all good. I got you covered. I offer a limited amount of 1-1 coaching time slots each week as my schedule allows.
I’m a guy who just hit 50. I like to sing in musical theater. The diverse roles I’ve had the privilege of playing require living in different areas of my voice. In one season I could go from wanting to achieve a very contemporary sound to needing an operatic sound. I do not perceive song I hear coming out of my mouth the same as an “outside” listener. I need the ears of a professional such as Sarah to assess my product. Sarah’s ability to convey her knowledge of vocal science has given me valuable tools to aid me in understanding and improving my connection to my physical instrument.